» Warhammer Quest - Board Game
Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:09 pm by scooter

» going to NOVA
Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm by scooter

» 2014 BFS GT Oct 10-12 40KGT/X-WING/Malifaux Nyack NY
Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:39 pm by pissclams

» fantasy game at Dropzone on saturday
Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:05 am by scooter

» Hey guys we(Lincoln,Oko,scooter,Brian and myself)were randomly talking about the club
Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:15 am by scooter

Share | 

What army are you going to start next?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lincoln

PostSubject: What army are you going to start next?   Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:25 pm

I don't have a Space Marine army and after 2 years have finally warmed up to them. I have Eldar, Necron and Nids. Debating between Wolves, new Blood Angels, or something else - Crimson Fists seem cool _ Josh told me they get to reroll ALL bolter shots fired. What other army have awesome special rules that I should consider starting?

What army are you looking at?
Back to top Go down
Martin

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:46 pm

Back to top Go down
http://martianempire.blogspot.com/
Saint Omerville

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:31 pm

I checked out the AWESOME sprues at the bunker.
They also have the new codex.
I am unaware of nay rule that allows Crimson Fists to re-roll *all Bolter shots.
Lysander of the Imperial Fists can do that, but only on a squad he is with.

-Mike
Back to top Go down
http://saintomerville.blogspot.com
Lincoln

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:31 pm

what other Space Marine armies are there and what are there special rules? Does someone have a list list of all the chapters and their special rules?
Back to top Go down
ginger

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:08 pm

white scars are pretty nice
Back to top Go down
joko12

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:37 pm

yo its imperial fists that do the bolter drill special rule the yellow dudes haha
Back to top Go down
Lincoln

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:19 am

Imperial Fists- reroll all bolter shots
What about Salamanders, Deathwing, Crimson Fists, Ultramarines, etc... what makes them so special?
Back to top Go down
Martin

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:26 am

Similar question.. Which chapters have their own codex?

Space Wolves & Blood Angels are listed on GW. But isn't there a Dark Angels one too? Any others?
Back to top Go down
http://martianempire.blogspot.com/
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:33 am

Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, and Black Templars, oh and Daemonhunters if you count Grey Knights.
Back to top Go down
joko12

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:21 pm

salmanders get to twinliked flamers and meltas its pretty sick

ultramarines just have sick charicters

ill get back about the others
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:44 pm

There are two categories:

Regular Marines with special characters that change their rules (this is everything in the base Codex where you can take special characters to change some army rules like vulkan makes all melta/flamer twinlinked). Fundamentally and regardless of what color they're painted these all play the same and the special characters can be used in any version of the army. The big chapters in this category are:

Ultramarines, Salamanders, Imperial Fists, White Scars and Crimson Fists (they're the ones that have named characters in the codex).

Special Chapter Marines:

Black Templar (3rd edition)
Dark Angels (3rd edition)
Space Wolves (5th Edition)
Blood Angels (Brand new)

All these have their own codex and characters and you can't mix and match them with the base codex. The two older ones are arguably underpowered/overcosted in new edition relative to other marines and don't have the same wargear in some cases, basically they've not been updated in a while and are showing their age.

Keep in mind you can play any version of space marines with any paint job so long as you're using a legal codex (though you'll piss of the fluffy modeler fairies).
Back to top Go down
The Fabulous Orcboy

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm already collecting bits and pieces for a themed Chaos Daemon list, and for a Madboyz Orks list. Oh, and I'm planning either a Meroitic Nubian, Empire of Mali, or Grecian Amazon list for Warhammer Ancients.

But I currently have the models to finish a Dreadnought Bash SM army, and to revamp my Tyranids, and I'm still painting my Tau, and have my Sisters to finish.

So I'm thinking new model purchases (and thus, totally "new" armies) will be relatively low priority for a while....:p Realistically, based purely on price and a desire to have a new Ancients army, it'll probably be an Empire of Mali army, though.

Mmmmm....west africans with awesome! cavalry! and Sundiata the Original Lion King (tm)!!
Back to top Go down
BrianF

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:46 am

Umm, Dark Angels are a 4th edition army. Their codex was supposed to herald a new direction of toning stuff down. All the Las/Plas guys cried and GW decided they wanted people to buy new models with the C:SM codex. The Chaos guys and Blood Angles were also casualities, but for some reason the BA have been redeemed.

Deathwing unique features:
130 point captain that make terminators troop choices
All terminators are fearless (why the F are smurf terminators not fearless??)
squad sizes are 5 and only 5
Squads can take a mix of storm bolters, lightning claws, Thunder Hammers/Storm Shields, and 1 heavy (cyclone missile launcher w/ lightning claws is legal)
You get the crappy cyclone missle launcher (1 shot I think)
you get the crappy Storm Shields (4+ only in CC)
You can have a terminator apothecary and banner
Apothacary has old rules (ignore 1 failed saved per turn that is not insta death/power weaponish, doesn't work in CC)
Deathwing Assault, up to half of your termiantors in reserve can deepstrike the first turn.
You get Interrogator-Chaplin, more wounds, better initiative, and maybe something else.
Librarian has unlimited range hood, but only LD9 to use it.

That is pretty much it.

And yes I am a fluff faerie, if I want smurfs I will play with blue smurfs not white ones. My robes have done well to dry my tears.
Back to top Go down
Baneon

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm with Lincoln on this. I want to start a new army to replace my Eldar and as a counterpart to my Imperial Guard but it needs to be none elite and a bit forgiving. My IG while solid are not forgiving of this nubs mistakes in both lsit building, assumptions and game play.
Back to top Go down
The Fabulous Orcboy

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:41 pm

Quote :
I want to start a new army to replace my Eldar and as a counterpart to my Imperial Guard but it needs to be none elite and a bit forgiving.

So..... either Tyranids or Space Marines, then? Smile
Back to top Go down
CaUTIoN

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:11 pm

tyranids arn't really forgiving of noob mistakes anymore. some dumb mistakes, will trash your whole game plan.
Back to top Go down
CaUTIoN

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:13 pm

oh forgot to answer lol, well for 40k once i actually get a viable nid list running i plan to do dark angels next, not sure if i'll do full deathwing, a mix or what.....though the new blood angels dex looks fabulos, taking deepstriking landraider= drool.
Back to top Go down
TimW

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:16 pm

@CaUTIon, how are land raiders supposed to deep-strike? I've been hearing this for a little while and I haven't seen the BA codex but what's up with that? seems dumb...a huge tank just falls out of the sky?!?!?

@Lincoln, the best thing to do with Space Marines is realize they are all good in the game (even Dark Angels in the hands of a crafty player) so its best to go with whatever chapter catches your imagination the most. Wanna do techno-vikings? Wanna do some marines with bling? How about your trimmed down sci-fi marines? The possibilities with space marines are endless.
Back to top Go down
http://tauofwar.blogspot.com
CaUTIoN

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:19 pm

the fluff is thunder hawks fly over and yea, they just drop them. not sure what land raider where before but now they are dedicated transports only. though thier still 14 all around, and can be decked out. for a 5-6 man CC termy squad and thier deep striking land raider your looking at about 500 points.....but thats some serious power in that unit.
Back to top Go down
TimW

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:31 pm

good thing I got me a BA army with a land raider.... Cool
Back to top Go down
darwinn69

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:20 am

I've been wanting to do a Thunder Wolf Calvery list using Chaos models. Lots of conversions and actually do a good paint scheme. Maybe after Adepticon I'll finally have time to start it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:10 pm

Darwinn, for the right price I'll sell you my TWC list using chaos models. still only basecoated painted and with some conversions done.

I can send you pics if you're interested.
Back to top Go down
JoeNeet

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Astorath The Grim- 220

25 Death Company- 1330
Jump Packs (375)
5x Power Fists (125)
2x Thunder Hammers (60)
18x Power Weapons (270)

5 Assault Marines- 110
Melta-Gun
No Jump Packs
(Drop Pod: 0)

5 Assault Marines- 110
Melta-Gun
No Jump Packs
(Drop Pod: 0)

Landspeeder- 60
Multi-Melta

This list is AWESOME!!!

Smile
Back to top Go down
TimW

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:37 pm

looks pretty deadly. It looks like a one-trick pony though. What does Astrorath do?

http://tauofwar.blogspot.com/search/label/Blood%20Angels
Back to top Go down
JoeNeet

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:42 pm

hey is a bad ass chaplain that gives you the Black Rage on all units on a 1,2 or 3 rather than a 1. He has a Str 6 power weapon that makes your opponent re-roll successful invul saves. And since he is a chaplain he allows the Death Company unit to re-roll hits and wounds on the turn they assault.

It is kind of a one trick pony. The pods are there to take objectives since the Death comopany cant. But in kill point missions it will wreck face.
Back to top Go down
TimW

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:21 pm

I can see that death company unit assaulting multiple units per turn. plus nobody can kill 25 FNP marines in one turn. It would wreck face.
Back to top Go down
JoeNeet

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:33 pm

yeah that is the idea. but it is a maybe list, i would make a more touranament rounded list for an actual blood angels army
Back to top Go down
joko12

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:54 pm

Sanginary guard are nasty the whole army is pretty sick though
Back to top Go down
JoeNeet

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:33 pm

I dont like the Sanguinary Guard. They are a 200 point unit of 5 guys, and a 2+ save is good but even shots from a 20 man ork boyz mob will atleast call 1 or 2 wounds. But to each his own. I would rather just have more normal Assault Marines
Back to top Go down
Baneon

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:51 am

Sanguinary Guard look very nice...too bad their 2+ armor save wont save em from Plasma fire.
Back to top Go down
joko12

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:59 am

yeah but they are so nasty looking and can't they assault the turn they deepstrike in???
Back to top Go down
Baneon

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:32 pm

I believe so though one of two things is likely to happen, at least if it was done against me.

1) You succeed and pop a Chimera (don't know who good their AT attacks are so I picked the lowest Armor value I have) or two if you chain the assault. Nets you 55-110 points + if you manage to blow it up and kill some guard inside. You then get shot.

2) More then likely since decent of Angels lets your roll 1 less d6 your coming in very close and my Inquisitor spots you and someone ventillates their winged behinds before they can do anything but say "Hey my names...gaaaaaaaakk".

I'm not saying they aren't very nice models and very scary looking stats wise but IMHO they are a trap. You can get 5 terminators for a little more points I believe and they might actually live. Now I don't know about the DS/Assault thing, maybe I haven't read all the rules yet though I plan on getting the book.

What do you think of this?

2 x 15 Death Company
2 x Death Company Dreads (I'm hoping they can be elite not just troops)
3-4 squads of Marines to hold and contest objectives.
Fill in the rest, not sure what else to grab yet.

Oh and Death Company, now officially the MOST expensive squad possible in 40k.
--30 Death Company marines, all with Jump Packs and twin Thunderhammers. 3k points.
Back to top Go down
JoeNeet

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:57 pm

no the Vanguard can assault the turn they come in not Saguinary Guard
Back to top Go down
Baneon

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:03 pm

Oooo...Well yeah they are going to eat hot plasma/melta death.
Back to top Go down
darwinn69

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:32 pm

Actually I'm thinking blood angles now. After finally geting to see some TWC in action I'm no longer sold on them. I already have an awsome idea for a conversion and paint scheme which I'm going to keep secret for now Wink. It will be spamming assault marines in rhinos, priests, a librarian, and some mixture of vindicators, preditors with a possible dreadnaught thrown in if I can fit it.
Back to top Go down
Brent

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:52 pm

cygnar
Back to top Go down
GZealot

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:50 am

I plan to eventually re-convert and build my blood angels razorback army with the new army book. things are looking good so far.
Back to top Go down
Lincoln

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:41 am

codex says you can only have a single Death Company unit in your army - and they dont have combat squads rule
Back to top Go down
Jonny

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:44 am

Circle
Back to top Go down
Baneon

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:50 am

Lincoln wrote:
codex says you can only have a single Death Company unit in your army - and they dont have combat squads rule

Astorath's Redeemer of the Lost rule removes the 0-1 Death Company restriction.
Back to top Go down
Sorrow

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:36 pm

Mephiston - 250

Sanguinary Guard - 210
1 w/ power fist

Assault Squad - 197 (9)
sarge w/ power fist

Assault Squad - 197 (9)
sarge w/ power fist

Assault Squad - 197 (9)
sarge w/ power fist

Attack Bikes - 100 (2)
multi-meltas

Landspeeder Squadron - 200 (2)
Typhoon missile launchers, multi-meltas

Landspeeder Squadron - 200 (2)
Typhoon missile launchers, multi-meltas

Vindicator - 145

Vindicator - 145

Vindicator - 145

wooo.... everything moves 12 inches and can still fire / assault. enjoy your aids.

and mephiston is a man hammer. would consider switching him for astorath to try and make some of the assault squads / sanguinary guard fearless/furious charge.
Back to top Go down
Brent

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:21 am

jee guys favor of the week much?

Last edited by Brent on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Baneon

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:34 pm

Would you rather I play guard? Smile
Back to top Go down
BrianF

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:25 pm

I like this better, probably not competitive, but would be fun to play with zero vehicles. 4 Scoring units, at least 4 units with Feel no pain, and no scattering on deepstrike with Dante's unit. Would probably reserve everything, you can use Dante's rule on reserves to help not anal yourself.

Dante 225

Lamertes 150

Sanguinary Guard 200
Death Masks 25
Power Fist 10
2 Infernus Pistol 20

Sanguinary Guard 200
Death Masks 25
Power Fist 10
2 Infernus Pistol 20

Assault Squad 100
Power Fist 25
Combat Shield 5
5 Additional Marines 90
2 Melta Guns 20

Assault Squad 100
Power Fist 25
Combat Shield 5
5 Additional Marines 90
2 Melta Guns 20

Death Company 60
Power Fist 25
1 Power Weapon 15
2 Additional Death Company 40
5 Jump Packs 75

3 Sanguinary Priests 150
1 Power Swords 15
Jump Packs 105

Back to top Go down
Halcon

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:00 am

I'm seriously thinking about starting a Chaos SM army based on Fabious Bile & his enhanced warriors. Just cause I feel the need to do something non-imperial & different.
Back to top Go down
joko12

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:38 pm

that would be a cool theme
Back to top Go down
TimW

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Here is one army I am thinking of building.

The Tau Special Ops Cadre

6 Stealth Suits with 2 Fusion Blasters, Team-Leader with Markerlight, Multitracker

6 Stealth Suits with 2 Fusion Blasters, Team-Leader with Markerlight, Multitracker

Tau Commander, Missile pods, Plasma, Targeting Array
2 Shas'Vre Bodyguard, Missile pods, Plasma, Targeting Array
2 Gun Drones

10 Kroot 5 hounds

10 Kroot 5 hounds

12 Fire Warriors with Carbines
Devilfish

8 Pathfinders
Devilfish

3 Broadsides.

3 Broadsides.

SkyRay

It would be stealth themed list. Something I am working on currently actually. Lots of outflanking, deep striking, whatever, probably would lose lots but it would be fun and cool to play.
Back to top Go down
joko12

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:22 am

That seems like a pretty solid army to me lots of fusion blasters to take down those mech armies might not be that bad

And you can never go wrong with Broadsides and skyrays

I want to try this army out and I am slowly building it up.

All Scout/Terms Space Marine army!!!

Chapter Master whatever need some HQ in there

10 Scout Snipers
10 Scout Snipers Vet Serg with Teleport Homer

1 Land Speeder Storm Melta, Teleport Homer
5 Close Combat Scouts Vet Serg with Powerfist

2 Units of 5 Scout Bikers

1 Unit of 6 Space Marine Terms Regular terms with on AC
1 Unit of 6 Space Marine Terms CC Thunder Hammers and LC

And Not really sure what else to add at this point, cause that is not that many points.

The only models I need/painted for this army are 5 more bikes and 10 more scout snipers
Back to top Go down
TimW

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:58 am

Scout armies are a cool theme. Lots of deployment option, cool gear, deepstriking without scatter. nice. No telion? He's pretty sick isn't he?
Back to top Go down
joko12

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:48 am

yeah hes good but I dont want an ultra marine army I want my own random theme army we will see though he is really good
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What army are you going to start next?   

Back to top Go down

What army are you going to start next?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next