Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:05 am by scooter

Share | 

Tryanids are going to be amazing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:11 pm

I don't play them, but dayum:

3 point hormagaunts:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/12/40k-rumors-tyranid-avalanche-continues.html
Back to top Go down
Fallen O1

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:14 pm

I can't wait!

-Jason
Back to top Go down
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Hmm, I don't see anywhere where hormagaunts are 3 points? What I had heard is that they would be 5 points, with things like poison costing more.

You have to remember though that their monstrous creatures are going up in price to offset this.
Back to top Go down
joko12

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:48 pm

yeah but they have so many new things to choose from they are going to be so sick!!! I am dusting off my old bugs and getting some new ones!!!
Back to top Go down
mikhaila

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:27 am

We got the Trygon painted up, it looks awesome. I don't play nids, and I want 3 of them now.
Back to top Go down
scooter

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:41 am

I think I'm even going to paint that model it looks beautiful

CaUTIoN

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:44 pm

got a great deal of inside info, sadly only jsut saw this thread but some small stuff....hormagautns are 6 points each....2 points for 4+ posion...2 points for glands which give them furious charge USR. MC's are REALLY going up from the current base 85 for a fex to i think 170, but they include a lot of upgrades in that price, can be taken in broods of 3 and are MUCH more CC oriented. no more eternal warrior as a whole. trygon i'm actually hearing isnt as great as it looks, but the mawlok is. warriors are going up in price to about a SM terminator.

have a ton more info for those intrested PM me.

so much great stuff happening with nids, can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Fallen O1

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:23 am

Does anyone know if the Battle Bunker has a copy of the codex for the public to view yet? I need to figure out what I want to pre-order.

-Jason

Last edited by Fallen O1 on Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lincoln

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:19 pm

not yet
Back to top Go down
joko12

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:40 pm

they said they will have it on the 8th
Back to top Go down
Fallen O1

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:42 pm

joko12 wrote:
they said they will have it on the 8th

Sweet!

-Jason
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:32 pm

boo censorship
Back to top Go down
Lincoln

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:09 am

boo censorship

LOL....

Wow.. the 8th! That's freakin sweet.
Back to top Go down
CaUTIoN

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:22 am

a whole week before the actual model launch.....amazingly weak. not saying i'm not gonna go check it out, but common germany had thier preview dex in the middle of december.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:23 am

apparently that's because the german language ones were printed properly, the english language ones had some major printing error and had to be redone, thus pushing them way back.
Back to top Go down
ReveredChaplainDrake

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:08 pm

I've heard a lot of good things about the codex. I've also heard even more bad things about it. But what's really going to make or break the codex is what exactly constitutes "tons of upgrades" for Carnifexes, Warriors, and Tyrants. I keep hearing "tons of upgrades" without any sort of extrapolation, especially in regards to Tyranid-genus units.

I think what the Carnifex is going to be is something like:
-Scything Talons, which can be replaced with anything that isn't a heavy gun
-Scything Talons, which can be replaced with anything, including a heavy gun
-Bio-plasma, which can be exchanged for a ton of different stuff
-... and so on and so forth.

Even if the above is true, the question then becomes whether or not it's going to be like a Long Fang, where the cost of the weapon you swapped out is factored into the upgrade, or like a Grey Knight, where you retroactively pay a hefty sum of points to make it worse and strip it of that one Special Rule that made it remotely cost-effective.

If that's the case, then a 160-pt Carnifex wouldn't be quite as farfetched as I've been fearing. Still overpriced? Absolutely, but only by about 10-15 pts rather than 40-50 pts.
Back to top Go down
Lincoln

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:10 pm

I just hope rumors of not giving genestealers a 4+ are false. I love me some genestealers...
Back to top Go down
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:12 pm

Well...here's what terrifies me: 3 carnifexes with devourers in a unit of tons of wounds that fires off 36 shots a turn. Even if it costs an arm and a leg they're killing a unit a turn and are terrifying.
Back to top Go down
Lincoln

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:15 pm

not as scary as 3 units of Longfangs with 5 - yes 5 - did I mention 5 - Lascannons. 15 lascannon shots per turn.... who's brain child was that?
Back to top Go down
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:20 pm

Yeah, that is rather unfortunate. Then again, if you want to be a real jerk, you take 2 squads with lascannons, and then one with multi-meltas in a drop pod combined with Logan's ability to give them whatever that ability's called that lets them move & fire heavy weapons.

Nothing like 1st turn blowing up 2 vehicles with 1 unit with a very high %, followed by 10 said lascannons.
Back to top Go down
scooter

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:00 pm

relentless at least I think that’s how you spell that

ReveredChaplainDrake

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:34 am

Okay, having seen the Codex today, I've got some thoughts on it.

Hive Guard: The one issue I was worried about with them, how cover worked when shooting with a model without eyes, was actually mentioned and answered in the Codex. Basically the only way to claim cover saves from a Hive Guard is to be in the cover (or under the rule of something that confers cover, like Smokes, KFF, etc). Are they underpriced cheese? Well, for what they do, no, not really. They are tough, but they don't have the rate of fire to really threaten anything without an armor value. On the other hand, when the metagame is so heavily mech-oriented, Hive Guard are so good that they're practically mandatory. I'm thinking a unit of 2, potentially 2 units of 2 for larger games.

Lictor: Basically it changed in roles, from a psychological predator (which was really stupid anyway; Lictors were nothing to be afraid of) to a rather potent walking Teleport Homer. But, like Space Marine Scouts, don't expect much from them in the damage department. Like with other Tyranid elite choices, there are certain lists that Lictors will do well in.

Carnifexes: Fexes are a good metaphor for the entire codex. One step forward, two steps backwards, and fifty steps off to the left. Yes, they really did get their mutability gutted. Yes they are overpriced, even by rather generous standards. And yes, the average player will be shelving most, if not all, of their big critters. The thing about Carnifexes is that Trygons really are better for a general player's list. But Carnifexes now have a much more specific niche: heavy-duty can openers. Most lists just won't have or need such a niche. (I don't think I will, except in very large games.) Gone are the days where you take Carnifexes just because you can. In fact, gone are the days when this is the only way to be competitive. The Carnifex is a broadaxe. What most players are looking for is a sword, namely the Trygon. The moral of the Carnifex, and the Codex as a whole, is to use what you absolutely need and nothing more. Your personal hive fleet will "evolve" out what stuff you don't like from the Codex. And trust me, Carnifexes are hardly the crutches they once were. Shock of shocks, you can actually make decent armies without touching the big lugs. (Or any big lugs, for that matter.)

Trygon: Unlike the Carnifex, the Trygon is what the average player is going to look for to satisfy their need to scissor MEQ-units in half. Granted, you pay for it. A lot. And 6 wounds or not, it's still quite possible for a Trygon to bite off far more than it can chew and get cut down. But against rank-and-file, the Trygon will get the job done. The burrowing ability is seriously overrated. It's not like a Dark Eldar webway gate. First of all, neither Monstrous Creatures, nor Raveners, nor Gargoyles can use the burrow. Second of all, the only things that can are units of Infantry in Reserves that aren't using a pod. Which means that, if the Trygon doesn't come up before the Infantry, they're going to be walking on from the board edge. And let's say you actually do pull this off... you can't charge out of the hole! This defeats the purpose of using Trygons to ferry units through its tunnels, when you could use Spore Pods to do pretty much the same exact thing, but with more certainty. I think you can still play Reserves tricks (the Lictor and the Tyrant w/ Hive Tactics are optional for adding +1 to the Reserves roll; the Swarmlord, OTOH, is mandatory), but the tricks are just that: tricks. Any gimmick that depends on proper Reserves arrival sequences can be undone by not-too-uncommon runs of bad luck. If I'm going to throw my fate to the dice with this kind of deep striking gimmickry, I'll just play Daemons. However, this doesn't stop the Trygon from being a worthwhile Monstrous Creature. Of particular interest to me and my horde army is the Trygon Prime. A Heavy Support, 6-wound Synapse Creature. And Synapse Creature means "Fearless", which for some strange reason the normal Trygon isn't.

Tervigon: If Spinefists were basic Tyranid guns, I'd probably love this thing. Unfortunately, Fleshborers are. Thus, I don't like it. I only have 40 "Termegants" in my collection. Then there's 60 Spinegaunts and 60 Hormagaunts. If I could get people to let me counts-as my Spinegaunts as Termegants, the Tervigon would probably be better off. Though I would probably still use one or two anyway, as they diminish how many Termegant units you can field, both with their obnoxious girth of points, and with the fact that they're eating up a Troops slot. They're the only ones with access to the Catalyst power, which is amazing when used on Carnifexes. Something else I saw that I found amusing is that the Tervigon confers its own Adrenal Glands and Toxin Sacs (if it has them) onto the Termegants around it.

Tyrannofex: What's that? Sick and tired of Monoliths being self-righteous and impossible to bring down? Do you want long-ranged firepower that can trash pretty much any kind of unit it sets its eyes on, all from a decent safety range, even if it means a Land Raider's points cost? Do you want a 6-wound Carnifex with a 2+ save that can outshoot your old Gunfex any day of the week? Then the Tyrannofex is for you! Expensive? Oh heck yes. Overpriced? Not as much as you'd think. I remember how far a 2+ save and 5 wounds got your average Fex back in the day, and that was back when a Gunfex's anti-armor capabilities were limited to "pray you immobilize the tank, and then immediately assault it". I see the Tyrannofex being a very popular monster, a great flamer-user, and another way to get around using the "Carnifex" unit. Considering most Tyranid players stuck to Gunfexes, this is how you can still use them without having to tear your models apart. (If you want to build one from scratch, I recommend a Carnifex with a Barbed Strangler / VC hybrid conversion for the Rupture Cannon, TLed Deathspitters for the flamer thingy, and Spore Cysts for the Fleshborer Hive.) Also, if you actually prefer Gunfexes, the Tyrannofex will be the "Carnifex" that you use to transition.

Hive Tyrant: The big daddy, and with a points cost to match. The Hive Tyrant makes the entire Tyranid army seem like a Vampire Counts army in WHFB. (Well, that and the Trygon having powers similar to both Invocation of Nehek and Vanhel's Dance.) You've got this one big monster hero who can convincingly outfight anything in the game, but you have to be careful with him because his death means your army takes a hit. And it's not just synapse. Part of it is the effects that the Tyrant gives that require the Tyrant to live long enough to use these effects. Y'know all those overpriced units beyond the Tyrant? (Including the Tyrant itself; near 300 pts is pretty steep!) The Tyrant's psychic powers and leader upgrades give you serious incentives to keep the Tyrant alive. Speaking of keeping the Tyrant alive, I'm pleased to report that the Tyrant has a 2+ save option! Unfortunately, it's mutually-exclusive with Wings, and basically costs about as much as the old Wings used to. Fortunately, the wings are prohibitively expensive, so the choice becomes pretty easy. 2+ save all the way for me! (Incidentally, Carnifex broods can be used to make some pretty convincing MC screens.) Something else to consider about the Tyrant is the Old Enemies rule. The way I see it, there are two options for a Tyrant. The cheap one is 2x Scytals. Nice, but you lose the benefits of the base Lash Whip and Bonesword, which are part of the reason the Tyrant is so pricey. The second option is to use the Lash Whip and Bonesword alongside a gun (either the Stranglethorn or the TLed Devs, I'd say) and throw on Old Enemies, thus giving the Tyrant "Preferred Enemy" anyway. Also, on a fluff note, Tyrants are actually much more sentient now. Unlike other Tyranids, Tyrants actually have a somewhat free will, can make mistakes, and even learn. To me, this seems like just some contrived excuse to give Tyranids a personality, especially considering that the last codex Cruddace wrote was IG, the most "human" race in the game.

Swarmlord: Of all the characters in the Tyranid Codex, the Swarmlord is the one that impresses me leaps and bounds above the others. The points cost is pretty steep, but it isn't that much more than a kitted Tyrant, and there's all sorts of stuff you get in return. First, Instant Death. On each and every wound. That's pretty hardcore. Second, any opponent who is wounded and attempts an Invuln will have to re-roll their successful Invulns! This pretty much castrates Nob Bikers, as if they needed further castration at this point. But the sick thing is what the Swarmlord does for the army. Third, Swarmlords have all four Tyrant psychic powers. Okay, so Paroxysm and Leech Life are the only good ones anyway, but get this: the Tyrant can actually use two of these powers per turn! Fourth, the Swarmlord has a 4+ IV in CC from its parrying blades. Combined with the auto-killer Force Weapons and the fact that successful IV saves are re-rolled for enemies, this Tyrant is Abaddon-hunting material. Finally, the Swarmlord gives you +1 to all Reserves rolls, just for standing around, and any Tyranid unit that outflanks can re-roll what side it comes in on! This would be the guy to field if you wanted to run a reserves-heavy list, particularly a Stealer-shock variety. There's one rather glaring problem with the Swarmlord though. No leader upgrades. You pretty much have to run him next to a Tyrant with Old Enemies and Hive Tactician to get the best benefit from him, and at that point you're pretty much playing 2500+ pts. But that's typical for an Abaddon-class character.

The Parasite of Mortrex: Okay, not nearly as good as anything else, and still pretty pricey, I just have a soft spot for this guy, considering I actually have a perfect model for him. I converted some Winged Warriors (now "Shrike Warriors"; I wish I was joking, but Tyranid naming conventions just hit a new low) way back in early 4th edition, and now I have a perfect excuse to use both them and one specific Warrior that I converted to have Rending Claws for feet. All I really need to do is clean up the holes in their torsos so they can use the flying bases from my gun drones, and I suddenly have an HQ choice for small games. Both him and the other five Shrike Warriors. All armed with Devourers, incidentally.

Doom of Malan'tai: I would feel a lot better if you could just whack your own Gaunts to power him up. Unfortunately, he only sucks up enemy souls. In a small radius. In other words, it's going to take quite a bit of running (or a super-expensive Mycetic Spore) to get him in range to even start building up to critical mass. Add this to the fact that you're shooting a template and you can kiss your anti-tank abilities with this guy goodbye. Basically, he's a lot better against a non-mechanized opponent. Keep him put away for now. When mech starts dying out, bust this guy out again to surprise your opponent. For now, I just can't see him being worth the hype that's being spun about him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tryanids are going to be amazing   Today at 8:02 am

Back to top Go down

Tryanids are going to be amazing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1