» fantasy game at Dropzone on saturday
Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:05 am by scooter

Share | 

SM Drop Pods

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JoeNeet

PostSubject: SM Drop Pods   Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:53 pm

So a quick question on modeling SM Drop Pods and tournaments. Do I need to have doors modeled so that they can open or can I glue them shut? I am in no way trying to get an advantage with lines of sight, but I really, really, really don't want to paint the inside of the damn things.

So tell me what is acceptable and that is what I will do.
Back to top Go down
joko12

PostSubject: Re: SM Drop Pods   Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:58 am

I have seen it done both ways. I honestly think it just depends on who you are playing. But I have never seen it enforced in a tournament setting.

I personally think its better to have them open.

If you box a tank into a corner with two drop pods its always pretty funny.

But I don't think it really matters.
Back to top Go down
JoeNeet

PostSubject: Re: SM Drop Pods   Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:43 am

Ok, and really I am open to whatever, but with it taking me 6 hrs a Marine and about 8 - 10 for a Drop Pod not painting the inside helps me get the army on the table a lot faster.

Thanks Josh, and I will wait and see what a couple of other people say to get a good feel for what the people think.

When are we gonna get a game in together again? It seemed that back in the day we played in every tournament and now I dont think I have played you in like 2 years.
Back to top Go down
mikhaila

PostSubject: Re: SM Drop Pods   Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:27 am

It's an interesting question.

From my point of veiw, the open doors don't count as part of the drop pod. Can't, if you want to be able to actually put a marine standing on them. It's like unloading and leaving guys standing on top of a landraider.

We've generally played it as you measure from the hull of the pod itself for deployment. Open doors count as terrain for moving over (except running straight down them of course), and can give some cover to infantry iff they actually block part of the los to the model. Tanks and enemy infantry can move over the doors, with only the pod counting as a model.

So from that perspective, how the marines unload and deploy from the pod, and how you deploy the pod on the table, isn't changed at all by having it closed. What does change is LOS through the middle of the pod.

So if an opponent would like to claim he can target through the pod, I'd let him count it as open. At that point I don't think there should be a problem.

Most of the guys up here leave them open but with minimal painting on the inside. Spray of AP metallic, and badab black wash before putting them together.
Back to top Go down
joko12

PostSubject: Re: SM Drop Pods   Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:48 am

Yeah Joe I think its been forever since we have played a game!

I am playing 40k at blobs so maybe we will get to go at it again there!.

And I would be able to game more in the Bmore area but I moved down to Alexandria VA so I rarely ever get to game with the group anymore.

Are you going to get back into fantasy at all? I have been running my Brets a lot and doing pretty well with them lately. Being able to charge turn one with a death star block has been a lot of fun!
Back to top Go down
JoeNeet

PostSubject: Re: SM Drop Pods   Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:40 am

@Mike- Good thoughts, I think I will have to think about it. But it does make it easier for everything if they stay open. Less arguements and nerd rage for the guys who think they will die if they lose a game of toy little mans.

@Josh- Yeah maybe we can get a grudge match at Blobs! Why did you move down to VA? And I will be getting back into Fantasy, but right now I just cant take all the restrictions and banned items. I will get into 40k to get my gaming mentality back and then go in for WFB. I am thinking Warriors of Chaos for my army. It was my first I ever did and would be cool to do again.
Back to top Go down
arcticfox

PostSubject: Re: SM Drop Pods   Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:52 pm

We've always just ignored the doors completely for purposes of terrain, LoS and deployment. That way it would be impossible to model for advantage.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ldsknights.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SM Drop Pods   

Back to top Go down

SM Drop Pods
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1